Friday, November 27, 2009

WILL'S ODE TO THE TURKEY (a comment at One Cosmos)

I, TURKEY (a poem)

It was always there, this calm recognition

Of my destiny, the gentle tide that would sweep

Me across snowy fields and through the

Brittle thickets and tingling streams

To the moment of surrender in blinding light -



I seem to remember the angel's patient lecture,

His loving ministration that filled the hollow

Of my bones with grace and direction -

Oh, all the animals were there of course,

But it was I who truly understood



Better than even Cat and Dog, understood

The symmetry of service and sacrifice

Writ in nature's lineaments, there, I have said it –

I shall wrestle with the President of the United States

In the yearly photo-op!



And I shall lay down to die, over and over

Again and again across November,

My sleepy meat divinely distributed

Among earth’s Shepherds

And do enjoy the leftovers!



For this is my task and I fulfill

It in love and service –

Yet I rise again, Great God a’Mighty!

As will you, consumer of my flesh,

In your own alien way -

11/26/2009 12:23:00 PM

2 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Thanks, Gecko!
An outstanding poem like that deserves a post! Well said, Will. :^)

Gecko said...

Hi Ben,
Just thinking of you. I love Will's poem. Worth reading at every Thanksgiving celebration! Thanks for stopping by.