Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My young friend Devin emailed this note with her beautiful offering of Grace:

> Back in 2001 while watching the news footage of the September 11th events, I
> could not get out of my heart the images of the people jumping from the
> buildings and of the young fireman climbing up the long staircases to help
> those in need. When I asked for healing of these images it came in the form
> of this poem which I wrote that day - it is dedicated to,
> the brave souls who jumped from and climbed up into the towering infernos on
> this day, seven years ago. Feel free to share it with all who might find
> comfort in its words. With love, Devin
>
> Safe They Stay
>
> Gliding downwards
> I've left the flames
> Counting past
> Each windowpane
>
> One-Hundred-One
> Ninety-Five
> A Soft voice whispers
> You will survive
>
> A gentle landing at
> Floor fifty-three
> Into his hands
> God lifted me.
>
> Climbing upwards
> Into the flames
> The helpless souls
> My only aim
>
> Ninety-Five?
> One-Hundred-One
> A Sudden voice
> Come home my son
>
> A dusty landing at
> Floor fifty-three
> Into his hands
> God lifted me.
>
> Those rising and falling
> Were one in the same
> Sisters and brothers
> They all became
> And the only ground
> They reached that day
> Was in God's heart
> Where safe they stay
>
> By Devin Grace
> .
> 2001 © copyright by Devin Grace
>
>
>
>
>
>
> The more I unlearn what I thought I knew,
> the wiser I become.
> - DG
>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Gecko for this very disturbing poem and reminder that we have not been brutalized since that day 7 years ago,when it was thought another outrage was inevitable.