Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Yesterday when partaking of the bread generously offered daily at One Cosmos on Tuesday, July 22, 2008
"Keepin' it Real with the Old School Raccoons", Gagdad said this:
"In short, if you don't walk it like you talk it and run it like you spun it, then you're probably just an enchanting or seductive gasbag at best. If your words do not come from realized wisdom, then what good are they? They will mimic the form, but they will be lacking the substance that gives them life and makes them real." As I went on to read the excellent comments Ben mentions Andrew Klavin, being interviewed:"Here’s the thing: I really believe this stuff I’m talking about. You know? I’m not just saying it. When I talk about seeking the truth at all costs, when I talk about America as the embodiment of an idea worth dying to defend, when I talk about walking into the heart of inner darkness to find forgiveness and spiritual light, it’s not because I think it sounds good or because I’m running for election or anything. I mean it with my whole heart, with every scrap of me. That stuff sets me on fire inside. And to betray it, to turn my back on those ideas, for a literary prize or a good review or a cocktail party invitation… dude, that wouldn’t even be life to me, it wouldn’t be recognizable as life. I have a lot of blessings, man, a lot of blessings. I have a wife of uncommon goodness who has loved me unconditionally for thirty years and looks at me like I’m some kind of hero. I got two kids – if I’d picked them out at the kid store, I couldn’t have done any better – and they look to me with the expectation that I’ll do my best to do right in the world and act with integrity. You got an award worth giving that up for? You got a review worth that? And also I’ve got this gift, this ability to tell stories. And what’s the point of that, if it’s not about getting it right, getting it the way the muse gave it to you, telling the tale that’s in your heart without fear?"
Read it all here:
Dirty Harry’s Place… � The New Iconoclasts: Andrew Klavan — The Interview

3 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Hi Gecko!
Thanks for linking this great interview, and for highlighting this extraordinary writer!

I was very inspired reading that interview. :^)

Gecko said...

Thank you, Ben! I had missed that interview and I love Andrew Klavin's books. And Dirty Harry's Place is a particularly welcome addition to our blog reading since my husband is an actor! A racoonmendation does carry a lot of weight with me and mine.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Wow! Your husband is an actor? Cool!

Yes, I haven't been disappointed with Harry's reviews, which asre honest and thoughtful, and I appreciate his efforts, as well as Klavan, and others to support conservative movies, actors, directors, writers, etc..

Personally, liberals don't bother me much unless they try to preach to me through their arts or gifts.
Thankfully, most conservatives don't do that, and I'll admit some leftists don't either, which is cool, but it's pretty rare nowadays.

I also appreciate a love for the Truth, wherever I find it! I'm just sorry I hadn't heard of Mr. Klavan until recently.

I gotta lotta catchin' up to do. :^)